Saturday, August 03, 2013

Battlefield in a box rural roads review.

Having recently switched from the TSS terrain blocks to an easier to store Faux Fur Terrain cloth, I have been on the look out for a suitable road and rail system for the various periods I play.

At the recent Lardy day at Wyvern Wargamers a few of the chaps had been using the Battlefield in a box road system and having taken a closer look they seem just what I needed although an out lay of over £70 quid for something other than figures was a little uncomfortable but I have to say I am really impressed.

I picked up the Rural Roads and expansion set, together with the railway line enough to cover a typical 6' x 4' table.



The rear of the boxes showing the content of each.



Whilst designed for 15mm they fit rather well with 28mm figures allowing you to move 2-3 figures along the road if they were of column of march , the road sections come with track markings but these are hardly noticeable once placed on table.
The railway line is slightly narrow but I had not really planned on buying a train for my RJW collection and if required can explain this down to the narrow gauge used in Manchuria


The pre-painting is OK and the colouring seems to match from the 3 separate box sets that I ordered. 
The box sets each come with a pack of Green Grass and Meadow Blend GF9 Static Grass although I will be using my own mix to match my own basing style and this should mask any minor colour variants from the 2 road boxes.



Made of thick durable rubber they appear to stand up to the most heavy handed of player their density  means they sit flat on the terrain cloth unlike some of the MDF road systems available which tend to rise up during game play, they also slightly sticky on the back which helps them stay in position although it does take some of the faux fur with them upon removal.


All in all a very useful addition to the terrain collection and a piece of kit that will cover a majority of periods.

8 comments:

  1. Good review, though if you wouldn't mind, could you post a couple more pictures? One of each individual kit laid out and one with them all together.

    Just to help get a good idea on how much coverage exactly those three sets provide as well as what type of layouts they could be arranged in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure hoping to get a full game next week so will post these up then.
      Cheers
      Stu

      Delete
  2. Nice review Stu. I've looked at these in the past, but wasn't too sure they could be used for 28mm gaming as well. Also thought they were rigid and not bendy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Public service wargaming.... Boards are looking nice mate.
      Cheers
      Stu

      Delete
  3. Thats a good and useful review and I think something I am going to have to look into for myself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been really impressed Pete.
      Cheers
      Stu

      Delete
  4. I've wondered how they would fit in with 28mm! Thanks for the knowledge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure - Public Service Wargaming :-)

      Delete